Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Understanding different views

As a child by parents raised me with a strict set of values and belief system. If you have met anyone in my family you know that we are loud, opinionated, and strong willed. Over the years I have taken pride in these three attributes but I have also learned that there is a time and a place for each of them.

I am a public school teacher and I love my job! However, being a teacher/coach also means that my religious and political views have to take somewhat of a back seat. Meaning I can't openly say what political party I am or that I am a Christian. Now, I am pretty sure that the students know both of these but I have never said it point blank.

Here is where I am going to rant a little bit! Although I am a teacher/coach my number 1 priority is to be a Mom and Wife! I take a great amount of pride and honor in being Savannah's mom and Andy's wife.
When Andy and I got married we always talked about having 3-4 children. I always knew I wanted to be a mom but I also knew that I was called to teach. This meant that I would probably not be a stay at home mom. I am just not the type of girl to stay home...just ask me my weekly schedule! Well, when Savannah was born and I went back to work I enjoyed it but I also hated not being with her. The option to stay home was not one due to finances and other things. But as I began the process of daycare and watching Savannah learn and grow, I realized that she LOVED the interaction with other kids. In fact, she seems to think that she is a lot older than she actually is.
With that being said. I have a lot of friends that are stay at home moms and I think it is awesome. I believe that it is a privilege to be able to stay home with your babies and it is for some women and not for others. It is totally up to the Mom and her family.

Okay let's face it we all have different opinions about raising a child, disciplining a child, being green, etc. I welcome the difference of opinions and I am never bothered when someone tells me something that they are doing or that they feel is right for their body or child. To the women that want a natural birth I say "Go for it" and "More power to you." Me on the other hand I will take the epidural! :) To those that say they want to do all natural foods or breast feed..."Great, it's your body and its your child." I however, chose not to breast feed and I am not really all that concerned with natural food vs. the others. WE ALL HAVE OPINIONS and that is what makes us all unique and different.
BUT, to tell me that my child is always sick because she is in daycare is not right! To tell me that I am letting someone else raise my child is not right! To tell me that because I don't do this or I do that will effect my child later is not right! I AM SAVANNAH'S MOM and ANDY IS HER FATHER! We have her best interests at heart and we are trying to raise her the way our parents raised us and to raise her up to be a follower of Jesus!

Yes, has Savannah gotten sick this year. Yes, have we missed days because of her illness. Yes, has it all been tests! But seriously...she is a baby...they get sick...whether they are in daycare or at home!

Andy and I have 4 goals that we set as parents
1. That our home is centered around Jesus and that Jesus will become their Lord and Savior
2. To know that Daddy and Mommy are in love with each other and to show them what a Christ centered relationship looks like
3. Raise our children to know right from wrong and how to act in the world (I will be honest that I am scared about the world that they will grow up in)
4. To want to come home when they grow up and leave

With all of this being said...I hope I didn't offend anyone! I love talking to women about their views and the different things they do as a Mom. I learn something new all the time but please don't tell me I am doing something wrong. I am learning just like everyone else on what works and what doesn't.

7 comments:

The H Fam said...

Well said Claire! I think people use Daycare as an "excuse" alot for their child being sick. You can catch anything just going to the grocery store and extra curricular classes in which there are kids and parents you DON'T know. Nicho got sick the first year which is normal but his immune system is very strong now being around germs (although I am a germaphobic and use lots of hand sanitizer and do lots of hand washing) but anyways he is two now and he has NOT once been sick this school year (knock on wood)and I do thank him being around kids for the last two years for his healthy immune system. Raising a child with good values and Christ is most important, Good Job!!

Gail said...

Roland stays home, and guess what, he gets sick too, haha. That's part of being a kid. I will say whenever I take him to the dr when he is sick, one of the first questions the nurse or a doctor asked is "Is he in daycare?" And then when I say no, they sometimes act like they are suprised he managed to get sick again, haha. Now come on, haha, unless you are a stay at home who keeps her kid in some bubble, then stay at home kids are exposed to just as much stuff as daycare kids. We got to the store, the library, playgroups, playgrounds, friend's houses, etc., germs are not exclusive to daycare centers, haha.

I actually believe daycare can be very valuable. Many children in daycare do end up growing stronger immune systems because of increased exposure to things (then again, if your home kid is out and about, rather than sheltered, they are as well).

And I think sometimes daycare kids get exposed to a lot more preschool learning than home kids, and their language and social skills really blossom being in that setting with other kids and an age appropriate curricullum, etc. We don't choose daycare right now, but I definitely am alert to what is going on, art projects, sensory projects, simple games, music and movement, etc. I am trying to offer similar things at home and through the community, but that doesn't always happen cause life and chores and errands and stuff get in the way, and there is only one of me, not multiple teachers swapping shifts,etc. But I try, cause I know valuable skills are being aquired with those activities.

Don't let people get you down! They are silly about the sickness stuff. Kids get sick! I think I read recently the average toddler has like 100 hundred days of runny noses each year, haha. I will look it up.

Gail said...

Ok, more regarding sickness-
"The average number of viral infections that a young child gets per year is 8. Each of these last 7-10 days on average. Most often they will happen between October and April. That gives the average toddler a grand total of 80 days of illness in a 6 mth period. Yup, about 1 illness every 2 weeks or so"-Dr. Ari Brown, Toddler 411

She goes on to explain that this will happen for all people. And that attempting to overly shelter your child will only postpone this, not eliminate this. "If you keep your toddler at home for 5 years, he will just get his share of illnesses in Kindergarten instead."

Stephanie said...

Yes, I totally agree! One thing I've had to deal with lately is all of the parents who have children now seem to think I am a naive woman. Or at least that's what I'm reading into it, when they all tell me, JUST YOU WAIT> Hello, we ALL have to learn this on our own and make decisions for OUR family. Thanks, Claire!

Karyn said...

This is particularly close to my heart right now. I know, like you, I'm the type of person who can't stay home (both personality-wise, and financially) maybe that will change in time, but for now I have to work. It's hard enough having to find a place you trust and give you child to them each day without naysayers criticizing and already difficult decision. I don't understand why mothers, however you decide to raise your family, can't just be supportive of eachother and understand that we're all just trying to do the best we know how. I'm only 7 weeks in and I know that it's really hard. Support from those who know the difficulty isn't too much to ask. Good post, Claire!!

Anonymous said...

Well said! Kudos to you!
Pa Harvey

Just Me said...

Oh Claire, just ignore those people - they are just trying to make themselves feel better about their own decisions probably!!!

My kids are sick ALL THE TIME, and they aren't in daycare. It's just a phase, and one we will get through.

It's hard to stay home and it's hard to go to work. It's good for kids to go to daycare/school and it's also good for kids to be home. There is no right or wrong here.

Lets all just support each other as MOTHERS and WOMEN!! And realize that nobody has the answer (how I wish I did) and that we're all learning as we go here.

You're a great mommy (I see that every Sunday) and Savannah is lucky to have such a caring mother like you!!