Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Going green

Okay so I don't really buy into a lot of the "green" mentality but this week Andy and I were forced to buy into some of it. Last week I started to notice little bumps on Savannah's face and chest...thinking it was just baby acne I got some lotion and was putting it on all the time. Well on Sunday it was much worse. After talking to different moms I decided to call the doctor.
We went in Monday morning and well Savannah has very sensitive skin as well as baby eczema. This means that we had to change a lot of what we are using around the house. The doctor said lets start with teh small things...no more scented lotion (which means if you want to hold her you can't have just put it on), no more scented dish washing soap (cleans the bottles), and Cheer Free and Clear laundry detergent. We also were given some creams to put on her face to help it clear up.
So why Green? Well apparently that is the only things that don't have chemicals in it that could effect her skin. However, I am not fond of the fact that helping the environment makes my pocket book smaller. I mean really $18.00 for laundry detergent...are they kidding!!!! Oh and by the way our washing machine went out this week...so we had to order a new one which isn't exactly fun. So the Harvey household is beginning to help the environment a little more but I am not going to go crazy! I am still not sure that it helps all that much (please don't kill me...my green friends) And as Andy said "I always knew having Savannah would cost money but I didn't think it would happen this way :)


On an exciting note: Savannah is Smiling and talking this week! Now if we can just get her to sleep through the night!

3 comments:

Robyn said...

A tip on laundry detergents, dish soaps, etc.: often, the really really cheap brands are free of the dyes and perfumes and other things that probably irritate Savannah. You'll have to check, but when manufacturers are thinking cheap, dyes and perfumes are unnecessary expenses.

gsv said...

The main reason I go green is for health reasons/benefits, rather than environmental reasons.

jennmgarcia said...

Seventh Generation makes a detergent specially for baby and it is free of dyes, perfumes, and toxins. Babies-R-Us sells it for $6.99 which is very competitive to everyday brands that are loaded with junk. You'd be surprised at how many toxins we are exposed to everyday and it doesn't hurt to eliminate some that we have control over. More info... http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Baby-Laundry-Detergent