Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Blessed by the Village

Ever heard the saying..."it takes a village!"  I whole-heartily believe that is true!  I have told you many times how blessed Savannah and Bruce are to have grandparents, great-grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Great Aunts and Uncles, as well as Mommy and Daddy's cousins that love them and enjoy spending time with them.
Growing up I have about 3 women that I can remember having a huge impact on my life other than my Mom, Grandparents, and Aunts.  Each of these women hold a special place in my heart and I am forever grateful for them! 
My mom's best friend Diane Dinkins...Diane has known me since I was 2 years old.  She and her husband Kim are both teachers and raised 4 beautiful women!  They are like another family to me and I love them all dearly!  Diane loves the Lord and has always been there to lend an ear to my Mom or me.  There are not many memories of big events in my life that Diane and her family were not at cheering me or my family on!
The next 2 women I met in college.  Like any college aged girl I loved the freedom and excitement of being away from home.  I met Kelly Jaquez about a month after I got to SWT.  She was the BSM directors wife and she took a huge interest in me.  Kelly is one of those women that when she says she will pray for you, you can bet she is on her knees for you everyday!  I became very close to Kelly and Abe and got to watch them struggle through infertility to adoption to becoming pregnant!  Kelly showed me what it meant to be a God fearing Woman and to never let anything hold you back! 
At the BSM I also met Scottie Killiam!  Scottie lights up a room with her smile and her love for the Lord shines in all she does!  Scottie was the BSM secretary and I would go into her office and just vent or cry to her.  She would give me a big Scottie hug and it would make it all better!  She was my "mom" at college.  I remember when Andy and I broke up she hugged me and just let me cry for about an hour.  Then she told me, "No go show him what he is missing!  Trust in the Lord and he will heal your pain."
I am so blessed to have met these women when I did and to continue to talk and communicate with them.  I love you all!

One thing I have always prayed for my children was that they would have other adults that love Jesus show them how to be men/women of God.  Yes, I know that Andy and I are the chief influences in their lives but I also know there will come a time when Daddy and Mommy are stupid. :)  We are truly blessed by our church and our community group that are helping us raise our children.  "Our little Village."  You guys know who you are and I am so thankful for your presence in our lives as well as Savannah and Bruce's.  Thank you for showing Jesus' love and for putting up with our struggles and rejoicing in our achievements.  We love you and I look forward to Savannah and Bruce talking about how you impacted their lives one day.

No comments: