Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Being a Working Mom



Today I am linking up with Kelly over at Kelly's Korner. Her show us your life today is Working Moms.
For those of you who don't know I am a working Mom. I consider myself to have 2 jobs outside of being a Mommy and Wife. I teach and coach middle school in Lake Travis ISD.

I have always known I would be a teacher. When I was younger I was certain I would be an elementary school teacher...I love to talk and lets be honest I like to be the boss. :) As I got older and into high school I decided that I wanted to follow in my Dad's footsteps and coach as well as teach. I remember a boy at my high school telling me that he didn't know what he would do without baseball and my dad. He told me what an impact my Dad had made on him and that he would have probably in a gang or dead without him. It was at that moment that I remember thinking...my Dad does way more than just coach!

At Texas State I studied Exercise Sports Science and was certain I would be a High School Softball coach but I kept my mind open to elementary as well. Middle School wasn't even on my radar!

I had just graduated college and was planning my wedding when my dad called to tell me there was an opening in Lake Travis but it was at the middle school. Andy and I decided I should apply for it and see what happens. About 30 minutes after the 4 hour interview the athletic director from Lake Travis called and asked if I would like a job! I was thrilled but to be honest I thought it would just be for a year and then I would move up to the high school.

Little Did I know God had other plans...now 6 years later I am still at LTMS and love every bit of it.


It's not just about the teaching and coaching: I may be the only person that shows them love, I may be the only person that shows them strength, I may be the only person that shows them Jesus! Since I can't really tell the kids about my faith I have to live it every day!

Being a working Mom is not easy! I go back and forth on beating myself up over having my kids in daycare. I am tired at the end of the day and since I work with loud puberty ridden children sometime I just want quiet. But when I leave I am Savannah and Bruce's mommy and Andy's wife. Here are a couple tips that I have learned over the past couple of years:

1. Involve your children and husband in your work. Andy brings the kids to almost all of my games and they love it. Savannah is normally in the mix of my players and Bruce is normally in the arms of one of the girls or moms!

2. Remember family comes first no matter what! Yes I am a teacher and coach but I always want my family to know that I am Wife and Mommy 1st! They mean the world to me and when there is a problem or someone is sick - I will be there and not at work

3. For meals: Have a plan! I make a monthly meal plan so whoever gets home first starts dinner! Andy and I have a great relationship and it really is a 50/50 split so VERY thankful for that!

4. Leave work at work: Andy and I have a rule. You can come home and vent for about 15 minutes then it is time to move on and be a family. I normally call Andy on my way home from work after I have picked up the kids to talk about my day.

5. If you are tired-take a quick shower and change into your jammies. Once I do that i am ready to get on the floor and play and be in the Mommy role...sometime it is easier to wash away Coach Harvey!

6. Don't feel guilty! You are doing what is best for you and your family!


Like I said before...it isn't easy and it takes work but I am a better Mom because I work. I also am learning of all the things my children will face at school. I feel like this will help Andy and I know what to expect. It also helps conversations now about the: What if she does this? or What if that happens to Bruce?

My last piece of advise is no Mom is perfect and we are all trying to be the best. Don't compare yourself to another mom. Whether you stay home or work you are a Mom and God's plan is for you to help grow your children in a loving and Christian home.

3 comments:

Brandie said...

Visiting from Kelly's - what a beautiful family and it looks like you've got it all together! You go, mom!!!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

I agree that I am a better mom because I work. Great Post! Happy Weekend!

Southern Queen of the Crazies said...

I love this post.